What is Relationships Education?
- Children will learn about making and maintaining relationships; about growing up and changes.
- Relationships Education aims to help children feel good about themselves and the choices they make.
- Relationships Education allows children to gain knowledge, develop skills and form positive beliefs and attitudes about themselves and others.
Why teach Relationships Education?
- Prepares children for the physical and emotional changes that will take place at puberty.
- Develops positive attitudes, values and self-esteem and challenges negative attitudes and prejudices.
- Make sense of misinformation in the media and from peers.
- Provides an opportunity to talk about feelings and relationships.
- Promotes the skills necessary for effective communication and loving, caring, respectful and happy relationships.
- Protects children from inappropriate online content and exploitation.
- Statutory part of the science curriculum covering the biological aspects of RSE.
Each year, we hold an open afternoon, where teachers share with parents and carers information on what their child will be learning in Relationships Education that year. It is an opportunity for parents and carers to view any resources that will be used and also to ask any questions they may have.
Click below to read the presentation given in May 2021
In September 2020, we carried out a consultation with parents on the changes to Relationships Education and Health Education. Please find the information below: